Larchmont

It's been a while since I've talked about the places in LA that I actually DO like and I figured I could use a little attitude shift. Sometimes when you spend a lot of time someplace, you forget how special it is. It becomes your norm and so you fail to notice how much you love it. This can be true of a place, a person, a thing...

Larchmont village (it's more of a 1 block street but hey, I'll take what I can get) is one of my favorite places in LA. For one entire block there are sidewalk cafes, a proper NYC sidewalk news stand, adorable stores, yoga studios and most importantly, a feeling of community. When I'm walking down Larchmont, I can almost forget that I'm in LA for a few moments (save the 17 year olds drinking their sugar-free Coffee Bean blendeds in short shorts and Uggs.) I go to Larchmont 3 or 4 times a week to practice yoga but today I realized that it's been a while since I've truly soaked it in.

It helps when you get to see something through fresh eyes. I met my friend Stephanie for a yoga class this morning and though she's lived in LA for about 6 or 7 years, she's never been to Larchmont. She was so excited by her new find and it reminded me that it truly is just that - a find.

Let's start with the food. This New Yorker can close her eyes and almost pretend that I'm eating a slice in Soho when I swing by Village Pizzeria. I love a good old slice of cheese - and yes, you can indeed get a slice with perfectly thin crust and that NYC blend of cheese. Try brunch at Cafe du Village - fantastic huevos rancheros and a great little garden in the back. Not a place to go out of your way for necessarily, but a perfect stop for a great salad if you're doing some shopping. And do NOT pass up the opportunity to have a sandwich from Larchmont Wine and Cheese. A great wine store (although definitely on the pricier side so more for the oenophile) filled with knowledgeable and helpful employees, the true delight lies in the deli counter. The manchego and serrano sandwich could literally transport you to Barcelona. Not to be missed. Seriously. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Le Petit Greek and of course, the new Pinkberry.

There are enough coffee places for everyone that you're with to grab their fave - Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Peet's plus all the other places where you can grab a cup of joe. And if you're looking for something a little healthier, grab an all fruit smoothie at Jamba Juice.

There's shopping for everyone in the family. It's a rare day when I don't pop into Pickett Fences to see if there are new Kooba bags or Kors shoes on sale and they've opened Petticoats at the other end of the street for adorable intimates. Sonya Ooten gem bar has exactly that - gorgeous jewels to make you sparkle. Swing by Kicks to get some new ones for your boyfriend or yourself. Spirituali always has an amaaaaazing selection of Bernardo sandals along with great fashions that are little more out of the ordinary that what you find at CO-OP. They carry a small selection of baby stuff as well.

But if you really want fantastic stuff for your new niece or nephew, Flicka and The Little Seed are not to be missed. Flicka has the most fantastic garb from old school concert t's for your one year old to perfect little pink sweaters and jeans for your colleague's aspiring fashionista daughter. Across the street at the newly opened Little Seed, you'll find everything you could want to start your baby off on an eco-friendly foot. Bring your little one with you while you shop - there's a fantastic play area for them while you peruse everything from cribs crafted from sustainable materials to organic cotton onesies to eco-friendly bottles to fantastic jewelry for mom.

Of course my favorite place on Larchmont (besides the NYC style news stand and Yogaworks) is Larchmont beauty. This little store stocks literally everything your heart and your skin could possible desire. From Mario Badescu to Kinerase to Dr. Haushka for your skin and Bumble and Bumble or Mop for your tresses to Votivo candles to Mistral soaps and soaks to Nars makeup. You'll walk out of this place with everything you need to feel as gorg as you are.

I haven't even touched on the adorable book store, the fantasticly convenient hardware store and the Landis General store with their vast selection of stationery and invitations. It's easy to spend an afternoon on this buzzing street, especially on Sundays when they have the fabulous farmers market from 9 AM- 1 PM. It's my favorite way to spend Sunday morning.

I think what I love most about Larchmont is the energy. It's one of the few places in Los Angeles where the sidewalks are always packed with people. You have the opportunity to run into an old friend, to people watch, to hear kids laughing and friends having coffee. There's constant energy flowing. There's never a time when I'm there that I don't feel completely alive.

My only complaint? It's only 1 block long.

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 8:53 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment