The day before the slush

There's a snow storm on the east coast. I always loved the day it snowed in New York. The city looked and felt so gorgeous and serene covered in blankets of fresh, pure white snow. No matter that the following day it all turned to hell what with huge puddles of gross, dirty slush everywhere. The day it snowed was just...magical.

I have many memories of New York snow days -- drinking wine at noon, bundling up to walk down the street to the bar on the corner on New Year's Eve day, Sex and the City marathons at 135 Perry Street, kissing on the sidewalk surrounded by white, cuddled under covers watching bad movies and wearing warm turtlenecks, cozy dinners at Freddy's with the white showers falling outside -- to name a few.

Somehow it always feels warmer outside when it's snowing. If it were colder it would be sleet or even perhaps be too cold for anything to drop from the sky. But it's not too cold and the beautiful little snow caps fall to the ground. Warm enough to spend some time taking a walk through the West Village with hat and scarf and mittens, sipping hot chocolate or hot coffee. Warm enough to throw just a few snowballs. Warm enough to catch a snowflake on your tongue before you run back into the heat of your small but perfect New York apartment where you'll order in Thai or Indian and sip port and watch the inches pile up.

And isn't it funny that no matter how special the people that you spend snow days are to you, they become ten times more special when you're huddled inside together as snow falls outside. Whether it's a friend or a husband or a new found crush, snow days and snow moments are impossibly romantic.

Ahhhhh -snow days. New York is such a fun and fantastic winter wonderland.

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 3:58 PM  

2 comments:

megabrooke said... December 13, 2007 at 5:27 PM  

Well hello! Talk about writing beautifully! You, my new friend, just busted out SUCH an eloquent post! I loved it. Your post reminds me of me and my girlfriends. I'm so glad you stopped by, and I can't wait to read more of you.

Marissa said... December 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM  

wow! i just love this post. and i found myself feeling all these things today as it snowed here in manhattan. earlier i was in brooklyn getting my hair cut, and on the way back to the L a few little kids pelted me with snowballs. i'm sure this would have annoyed most people, but i loved it! i made my own snowball and pelted them right back. i love snow in nyc!

thank you so much for your wonderfully thoughtful comment on my blog. it meant a lot to me and i appreciate it.

Post a Comment