West Coast Prejudice or Why I Love Joan's on Third

I love Joan's on Third. I would have a party just so I could have an excuse to go there and buy the red pepper dip or blocks of cheeses with all the perfect accoutrement. There are scones and strawberry buttermilk muffins and French breakfast muffins that I would eat at any time of day. The cupcake selection (which they've expanded since they expanded the store) is divine. I could eat there every day for a month and never repeat myself although it's hard to resist the turkey meatloaf with chili aioli that makes my taste buds erupt in a cheer. I love Joan's on Third.

This morning I met a friend for breakfast there. I have always loved Joan's on Third - not only for their great food, but also, because I meet great people from the east coast there. This morning was no exception.

I ordered the soft boiled egg with pain perdu. I was truly excited by the prospect of a soft-boiled egg...I've always wanted to have one, but I never have. It arrived perched perfectly in it's adorable dish with the perfectly buttered bread beside it on the plate. I looked at the egg and realized...I had absolutely NO IDEA how to eat it. I didn't want to try to crack it - it was soft boiled after all...and I didn't know what would end up pouring out. I went to the counter to ask for help and a curly little brunette customer came to my rescue.

"My mom is French," she said. "I used to eat these all the time. You cut off the top with a knife then add just a touch of salt and dip the bread in. Do you mind?" she asked as she reached for a knife to help me.

"Mind?!?!? You're my hero!" I exclaimed as I pushed my plate toward her.

She delicately tapped at the top of the shell to create a little break and then smoothly glided the knife through the very top of the egg.

"Thank you soooo much." I paused. "You're from the east coast - aren't you?" I asked.

"I am," she replied with a smile.

"I knew it. No one from the west coast would have gotten in there and done it for me." I professed, admitting my mild prejudice against Angelenos.

I didn't say that it was right or fair - I'm just saying it's how I feel. And maybe Angelenos feel prejudiced against me. But every time I walk into Joan's on Third and I have a conversation with a perfectly wonderful total stranger, it's a perfectly wonderful total stranger from the other coast. Maybe we can smell it on each other, we crave that comraderie and shared experience. I'm just saying - it's never happened with an Angeleno.

I enjoyed my soft boiled egg exactly as the lovely lady had recommended - with my buttered bread dipped in the oozy yolk - surrounded by all the splendor of one of my favorite New York-ish spots in LA. As I sat among the bottles of outrageously divine (and outrageously expensive) olive oils and vinegars and mustards, and cases of salads and cheeses and charcuterie and pastries, I could have easily have been in the West Village or the Upper West Side. I sipped my latte, had great conversation, and felt cozy and at home. I love Joan's on Third.

Joan's on Third, 8350 West Third Street between Sweetzer and Kings Road, 323-655-2285

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 4:50 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment