Bordello Bar and Quincy

We ventured downtown on Saturday night to the empty streets of Los Angeles' downtown neighborhood. Downtown LA always baffles me. It's the only part of Los Angeles that truly looks like a city with highrises and skyscrapers and city streets that go one way, so it should feel like home. But it's far from that. I'm sure during the business work week, there is plenty of activity in Downtown LA with the few individuals smart enough to work outside of the entertainment industry. But on a weekend night, Downtown Los Angeles is dead. It's eerie and creepy and people-less. It looks like an absolute ghost town.

Regardless, our good friend and musician goddess extraordinaire, Quincy Coleman, was playing a show at the fairly new Bordello Bar downtown. So we decided to check it out.

Now, first and foremost, any trip is worth making to hear and see the likes of Quincy. Not only is she a stellar musician with a sexy, brooding voice of gold, she's an absolutely amazing performer. I've seen her show no fewer than 30 times in the past three years and I'm always in awe of her ability to make her shows fresh and fun, feisty and warm. Her songs get under your skin and you'll find yourself singing them two days later and longing to get your next fix. If you haven't see Quincy, you're missing out. And chances are good that she'll be in your town soon.

Looking at their future schedule, Bordello Bar has some great up and comers playing and some terrific vaudeville acts as well. So if you're heading down to Bordello Bar for a show, it's worth the trip.

Maybe it's the New Yorker in me, but there's no chance in hell that I'm showing up at Bordello Bar for some random evening of debauchery. How debaucherous can you get when you have to get in your car and drive 25 minutes to get home? We got there early to eat a little something. I hadn't heard anything about the food - just that they had it. And there's a reason for that. Their limited menu is made up of mediocre stand-bys. Kudos, however, for offering mini-veggie burgers in addition to the regular mini angus burgers. But I'm constantly confused by a bar's decision to serve food if it's going to be less than average. While the food sucked, the cocktails are what they're known for. Meredith tried the screaming orgasm and was delighted by it's effects. Just kidding. But she liked it. I opted for a glass of wine which was a foolish move in a place that has 4 wines to offer and is out of the one that you want. The girls were dressed "bordello-esque" - vampy and racy. And the atmosphere is fun and sexy. The stage was cool with a red velvet curtain that rose to reveal the aforementioned fabulous band. The sound could have used a little help and I'm used to seeing Quincy play in a place where people are there solely for the music. It annoyed me to hear the din of the other partyers in the background, but there are definitively rooms at Bordello Bar that are totally separate and not conducive to seeing the shows at the venue.

Bottom line, I'd come here for a fabulous show anytime. But for a drink on any random night? If it were down the street or a five minute drive, perhaps (although I didn't find it sooooo fabulous that I'd be a frequenter even if it were in my neighborhood). But in the ghost town of Downtown? Nope. If I'm going to get in the car and drive somewhere, I'd rather head to Venice....

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 11:30 AM  

1 comments:

Anonymous said... October 3, 2007 at 1:25 PM  

I like your blog (I am bi-costal from the west village) but do have to say that you were likely in the wrong part of downtown. As a former west sider who now lives in the east hills (Silverlake, Los Feliz) I have to say that downtown is my favorite part of LA. It sometimes feels like a secret club that anybody east of La Cienega does not know about.

Recently, however, more and more people are showing up and I suspect that in a few years time, it will be hard to find parking.

It is amazing how NYC it can feel when you go into a seemingly "deserted area" and walk into the bar to find it absolutely filled with people. I am almost sad that downtown is getting so popular as it is no longer the cool kids playground.

If you ever feel the urge to brave it again, I suggest these fun places:

1. Redwood Bar and Grille (pirate themed hipster bar)- Just threw my bf's birthday party there- got to love the "plank shots"

2. Golden Gopher- The first bar I ever went to downtown which caused me to fall in love with the idea. You will feel like you are in a classy NY bar here.

3. The Library Bar

4. Broadway Bar- very cool place

5. Rooftop Bar at The Standard (obvious)

6. Ciudad- Great mojitos and live jazz

7. The Mayan- Great place to go with your girlfriends Salsa dancing. They have a live Salsa band every Saturday. They also have an upper level that is club, hip hop.

8. The Edison- Looks cool but every time I go there is a line wrapped around the corner. "Hollywooders" fill this place.


In other words, there are a lot of bars downtown, but like NYC, you have to be in-the-know to find several of them. This of course makes them all the better.

-J

Post a Comment