10 Days - Part 6

As we settled into the cab, I thought to myself, “What the HELL is wrong with me? I’m going to a hotel with a guy I’ve known for 3 weeks via email and have known in person for 5 hours?”

So instead, I decided it would be safer to take him tooooooo…MY APARTMENT?? I realized just how moronic this was as we lay on the couch kissing to the Buena Vista Social Club soundtrack at 2:30 in the morning. This seems to be a pattern with me. I like to make snap decisions and then regret them HORRIBLY later. And it had happened again.

“You have to go,” I said, meagerly attempting to pry myself away from his lips.

“What?” Please note that he didn’t stop kissing me as he said this.

“You have to go…” Please note that I didn’t stop kissing him either.

“I’ll sleep on your couch. It’s so late sweetheart.”

“I know.” I said, contemplating the words about to come out of my mouth. “But I don’t know you. You could be an ax murderer or a serial rapist. You can’t stay here. I just met you…”

I thought about how proud my mother would be that I’d thought about this AFTER I let him into my apartment.

“I’m none of those things. However, I would kill my sisters if they ever did what you did tonight. Regardless, I’m here and I haven’t killed you. So just let me sleep on the couch.”

I don’t know if it was the sangria, the kissing, or the twinkle in his eye, but I gave in without any more of a fight. And no. He didn’t sleep on the couch.

I woke up the next morning at the very unreasonable hour of 8:30. I had a hair appointment and there was no canceling 2 weeks before your best friend gets married. I woke Burma Boy with a large glass of water and 2 Aleve. I only had to get my hair done. He had to drive back to Boston and get on a plane. To Japan. Before he left, he asked me to write down my address. He informed me that he wouldn’t have email for a while and he wanted to be sure to keep in touch. I didn’t know what to think. I felt confused and tired and possibly also a bit hung-over. Had it been the sangria talking when he told me that he wanted me to come to Asia to visit him? Was I ever really going to hear from this guy again? And what was wrong with me? Why ON EARTH hadn’t I gone to the PLAZA?!?!?!?

Even though I was already running late, I had him leave my apartment first. I didn't need the awkward walk down the street attempting to make conversation to ruin what had been a practically perfect evening. (Perfect would have included The Plaza.)

I left a few minutes later and let the brisk wind hit my face as I walked down 16th Street to take the subway uptown. I was shocked by the fact that I had finally met a fabulous boy who was now going to Asia for 6 months. And yet, I wasn't. Isn't this how it always happened? I felt just like Carrie when she met Burger. The butterflies were there for the guy who turned out to be anything but available. I felt confused. Why did this always happen to me? Why couldn't I feel this way about a boy in my own city who was actually available to me? I was certain I was never going to hear from him again.

I made my way to Bergdorf's to let John Barrett have his way with my hair. I needed someone to make me feel good. I was supposed to feel amazing after a night like the one I'd just had. I didn't. I felt stupid. Why had I bothered?

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 4:39 PM  

1 comments:

megabrooke said... September 3, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

miss michelle! i demand that you finish this story soon and stop keeping us hanging!

;)

Post a Comment