Foodie Heaven

IF someone told me that I could choose between not eating and being skinny the rest of my life or eating amazing food and struggling with/having to work to keep my body in shape, I would unquestionably pick the latter. Oh wait - someone did tell me that. And I started therapy shortly thereafter.

I love food. Good food is a true art. A talent beyond measure. It is not a given that one can follow a recipe and therefore be a good cook. It is not a given that one knows how to entertain. Just as a musician hears the notes and knows what how to create a symphony, as an artist knows how to mix the colors on the palette, as a director can clearly envision the perfect shot, a chef creates a symphony of flavors, mixes the ingredients, envisions the perfect meal.

Saturday night, I had the joy and pleasure of being a guest at one of the greatest dinners I have ever been at. How often in your life do you go to someone's home and experience a tasting menu? Our friend Jackie, is not only a superior chef, but she's an incredible host.

A good host knows how to bring the perfect group of people together. They know when to gather for appetizers and when the right time is to serve dinner. They make things seem effortless (ed. note: I need work in this area...) They set a table that looks gorgeous. They have a home that feels completely welcoming. And most of all, they ENJOY entertaining.

And if the food is good, well, that's an added bonus. A tasting menu? That's next level. Saturday I had a 7 course (8 if you include the apps outside on the patio with the Pol Roger champagne) dinner that could have been served in any of LA's finest restaurants. This is not the first time this has happened. Last November**, Jackie invited us over to dinner and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I also drank every glass of (sometimes 2) wine that was paired with every dish and came home and had the spins for the first time in...oooooooooooooh, I don't know...EIGHT YEARS!!! And of course, I knew the food would be fabulous tonight as it always is.

BUT ANOTHER TASTING MENU???? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

And not simply a tasting menu. A tasting menu complete with wine pairings.

This is what I ate tonight:

Tuna Carpaccio & Tahitian Vanilla Bean
Rihaku Saki

Blini with Caviar and Lemon Creme Fraiche
Pol Roger Champagne

Artichoke and Spinach Stuffed Sombreroni
Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc

Halibut wtih Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus
Gevrey Chameain 2005 Dupont-Tisseronda

Lamb Chops with Parsnip and Parsley Root Puree
Beckman Purisima Moutains 2005

Dark Chocolate Terrine with Summer Fruits
Elysium Blush Muscat

Chaource with Red Plums and Clove scented oil
Elysium Blush Muscat

Yes, for real. In someone's home, not a restaurant. I'd be hard pressed to find a restaurant that could provide both the food, ambiance and fabulous company we had.

And while we're talking food, I might as well mention that I had dinner at the new Father's Office
in Century City last Friday night. We were almost deterred by the threat of a long wait, but we decided to brave it since we'd be in line with good friends and it was NOT a mistake.

I've never been the Father's Office in Santa Monica, but I've heard that it's a hole in the wall with 6 tables. This place is definitely not that. There's a fabulous outdoor seating area and if you can snag a table there, it makes the experience that much more lovely. I make it sound as though it's small - but it's not. It's just always packed. The bar, which runs the length of the room inside, is great looking and I'd be happy to park myself there for a cocktail any night. And yes, they do have cocktails and wine too(as opposed to the SM outpost which only serves beer.). I opted for one of their classic cocktails and got a Manhattan - and I will say, it was one of the finer Manhattans I've had in a long time with the BEST cherries ever. The boys both got one of their 50-something beers on tap, and my girlfriend had a glass of wine, which is also on tap.

A and I decided to split one of the famous burgers. How can you NOT get a burger at a place that is WORLD FAMOUS (ok - maybe just LA famous and foodie famous) for their burgers. For those of you not from LA (or who have been living under a rock) Father's Office is home of the burger nazi, chef Sang Yoon. His burger is supposed to be the most delicious you've ever had, but you have to eat it his way or no way at all. His way means smothered in cheese and caramelized onions with a layer of lettuce on top to keep the bun it's served on crunchy. No ketchup, no mustard, no sauce of any sort. Because as all foodies out there know, chefs feel that ketchup kills the taste of the burger.

The boys each got their own and we shared one, with 2 "a la carte" sides of fries, served in...mini-shopping carts. Get it? A la carte? Cute. More importantly. DELICIOUS. I could swim in those sweet potato fries with salt crystals big enough to see and crunch in your mouth. And no ketchup for your fries either - plain is served with a blue cheese aioli and sweet potato comes with garlic. Both were divine.

And the burger. I don't often crave a burger...but this. This burger!!!! Oh. My. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. It was divine. I'm not going to do it justice. Just go try it for yourself. That's because it's not just beef. It's dry aged strip steak. And it's not just cheese - it's a mixture of gruyere AND blue. And it's not just caramelized onion - it's an onion compote. And it's not just lettuce - it's arugula. AND it's not even served on a bun - it's served on french bread. WOW.

I thought this place was all burger and fries and nothing else...but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself with more than enough other options if I ever want to go and not eat a heart attack on a plate. He serves up a bunch of different tapas style plates that all looked fantastic. We decided to try the mushrooms sauteed with garlic, the soprasadas (a spanish ham on a crostini topped with melted manchego. umm..YUM) and the simple beet salad with walnuts and blue cheese.

There was nothing we got that wasn't good. It was IMPOSSIBLE to finish it all because that burger is insanely rich. But you can bet your ass we tried.

And it should not go without mention that the staff here was unbelievably lovely. Helpful, friendly, funny and informative...And it wasn't just one or two of them. Everyone, doorman included, was insanely nice.

Added bonus? We had a David Cook sighting. Yeah...he walked right by our table on his way to a table in the back of the restaurant. We were all awestruck momentarily...until we remembered our burgers.

Some things are more important than Idol. This burger is definitely one of them.

** In case you're wondering what we ate back in November:

Cantaloupe and Basil Shooter with Prosciutto and Burrata
Dom Perignon

Deconstructed Nicoise Salad with Tuna Sashimi
Cloudy River Sauvignon Blanc

Butternut Squash Soup with Creme Fraiche
Cloudy River Sauvignon Blanc

Pomegranate Sorbet

Cod en Papillote
Chardonnay (I think...)

Game Hen with Israeli Couscous and Chicken Jus
Pinot Noir

Braised Short Ribs
Cabernet Sauvignon

Blue Cheese with Marcona Almonds and Honey
Port

Goat's Milk Icecream with Liquored Berries
Port


Father's Office LA, 3229 Helms Avenue, Culver City 310-736-2224
and I know you wish you had Jackie's phone number so you could call her to get invited to her next dinner party...

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 12:42 AM  

2 comments:

Hillary said... June 19, 2008 at 1:37 PM  

oh my hell, that burger sounds de-lish!

The Alleged Ringleader said... July 29, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

Food: It's the first thing I ever liked, that liked me back.

Couldn't agree with you more about Fathers office. That place is LEGIT.

I'm not craving a burger, thanks!

Post a Comment