Things I want

There are a lot of things I want right now. And we're strictly talking material items here. I would venture to say there's a significantly deeper post residing behind this one...but I'm not in the mood to go there today. Today, I just feel like talking about the totally shallow desires that I'm having right now.


Shallow desire #1: Chanel makeup palette in Lumiere Naturelle. The perfect combo of 4 neutral eyes shadows, a peachy-pinky blush, and 4 glosses that would flatter anyone...especially me!

Shallow desire #2: Revale skincare night cream. It's my mother's fault that I want $100 skin cream. And to that end, I both blame her and thank her for the fact that I like nice things. A lot. She recommended this fabulous cream that is chockful of coffeeberry extract...apparently supposed to be some miracle antioxidant that will make my currently dull complexion glow. For now, a few strategically placed sparkles will have to suffice.

Shallow desires #3,4,5 & 6: A new bag. I love my current bag but it's too damn heavy before I put any of my crap in it...Can you imagine what happens once I throw in a couple of scripts, my wallet, a makeup bag and all the other ridiculous things that live in my purse? Ooooh - that's interesting. What's in my purse?

let's discuss:

In front pocket 1: keys. work place ID badge. Ticket stub from Charlie Bartlett at the Arclight. Super cute movie btw. Highly enjoyable. I recommend for a mindless, fun diversion. several business cards. Euros from our honeymoon last summer that were stuck inside my passport which I found when I sent my passport in to be renewed. And btw, I've totally made money on these Euros since the dollar has gotten WAY weaker since we were there. This is not a good thing, but the fact that I've made money is. A pot of Smith's rosebud salve - my lipsaver.

In front pocket 2: Aquaphor - also for my lips. Yu-be skin cream. Hands down the best hand cream ever. No pun intended. Barnes and Noble member card. What is this doing in the pocket? great question. A pen.

In large inside pouch 1: Sunglasses case. Change purse holding change for my meters. Bach Rescue Remedy Natural Pastilles. a hair elastic. Pack of travel tissues. menu of services from El Leon where I had an UNBELIEVABLE thai massage two weeks ago that literally fixed aches and pains that I've had for over 2 months. Earplugs.

Large inside pouch 2: Wallet...which is essentially a mini purse in and of itself. checkbook. another hair elastic. Extra passport photos. matches from Dominick's restaurant. A chanel powder brush. Hot pink lancome makeup pouch housing my daily essentials that attempt to make my skin glow since I'm without Revale skin cream right now. Tweezers.

And lastly, large pouch 3 (see? this is a big bag. And if it's heavy empty, then just imagine what it's like FULL!!!) A second pair of fabulous sunglasses from Forever 21. They sort of have a Jackie O look. And they were 5 bucks. Love them. A few pieces of mail that I'm supposed to take care of today at work. (Good thing I decided to go through my bag!) Gift cards to Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and Neiman Marcus from our wedding. (I suppose all of which could be used to purchase these things that I want...but I'm saving them to get the last remaining items off of our registry that we really want). Why am I carrying them around with me you ask? I've been at these places too many freaking times and wanted to just take care of registry stuff, but I don't have the damn cards on me. So now I carry them with me so I don't have that issue. And lastly, 2 scripts that I read over the weekend of writers who would like to staff on a show for next season.

See, part of the reason my current bag is so heavy is because there's so much room for me to shove stuff in it. That's not to say that if I had the pleasure of owning any of the below, there wouldn't be equally as much shoving room. BUT. There is one difference and it's MAJOR.

These bags are light. Light as a feather. They are SO light on my shoulder that I barely even notice that they are there.

I was about to tell you about these bags, but before I do, can we talk about something for a moment? When the hell did things get so expensive. I mean clothes and shoes and bags and things like that. I mean, clothes are FREAKING expensive. My pocketbook can not POSSIBLY keep up with my taste these days. I went into Anthropologie last week and they had a five HUNDRED dollar dress. Since when did Anthropologie start carrying $500 items of clothing??? Seriously! There used to be a time where you could go to certain stores and at least feel safe looking at everything because everything in the store fell within a certain price range. Anthropologie was one of thsoe stores...I felt safe. Until I spied the 500 dollar dress. And this was no evening gown. This was your average, every day, adorably run of the mill dress. For 500 bucks. The world is ending.

Which brings me to bags. I know that the Gucci's and Chanel's and Prada bags of the world have always been expensive. But now it's all just insane. So no judgement on the cost of these bags...all I'm saying is I like them. And I want them. I'm not saying I'm going to have them. Meanwhile, how is it that every freaking woman on the west coast seems to walk down the street with these $1000 bags? Sometimes people have more than 1! They have 2 or 3 that they alternate. This baffles me.

The first 2 bags are Francesco Biasia. I saw the first one at Bloomingdales this weekend - it comes in this size and a larger size and I tried both on my shoulder and couldn't decide which size I wanted. Good thing I didn't actually have to make the choice since I knew I was walking out empty handed...

Shallow want #3 - The Francesco Biasia Straw SatchelShallow want #4 - Francesco Biasia Adah Satchel. I saw this one in NYC a few weeks ago. This was the first time that I realized it was really time for a new bag. While the knots in my shoulders have existed for weeks in LA, It was carrying the bag around the city for hours at a time that made me realize that I could be a slave to both fashion and my body if I decided to start carrying a lighter bag. I tried this one on and fell a little bit in love...although not as in love as I fell wiiiiiiiiiith....


Shallow want #5: Rebecca Minkoff Market Bag. I saw it in Black which I loved...but I like this dusty color they have at Bloomie's as well although it's not as versatile. I heart this bag with a capital H. It might be the perfect bag - light as a feather leather with just enough great pockets inside and out for all of the ridiculous odds and ends that I tote around, but not sooooooo many that I don't know where things are. I keep searching every day to see if it goes on sale. In which case I still won't be able to afford it since sale for a bag that starts at $675 doesn't really fall into the bargain range. This is one of those "when I get a job that pays me double what I'm making now I'm buying this for myself as a gift" bags.

Shallow want #6: Discovered today while perusing Bluefly. This is one of those bags that goes from the outrageous price of $695 to the bargain basement price of $415...see what I'm talking about? Sale, shmale. Maybe if it goes on sale from the sale, we can talk. But it sure is cute. okay...I'm off the bags. At least for this current edition of I want...off the bags and ontooooooooooo SHOES!!!!!

Shallow want #7: These Tory Burch wedges are everything a girl could want and desire in a shoe. The flats hurt me...not enough arch support. I need a little lift, but it would be nice to wear something that's not 3 inches as well. These are the perfect solution...except for the little fact that they come with the price tag of $275. Mom, if you're feeling charitable, the only size they have left on Saks.com is a 7...MY SIZE!!! AND, they're giving triple points for shopping online only until April 9! You still have 24 hours...



For the days I'm feeling far less practical, there's Shallow want #8. These fabulous Cole Haan heels in bright yellow. I love a great, bright colored shoe...it makes any outfit pop. And despite their 4 inch heel, these sunflower yellow shoes are fully equipped with a Nike air sole, making them shockingly comfortable. How do I know this? Easy. I tried them on at Bloomie's this weekend...when they were 30% off their steep price tag. However, I practiced tremendous self restraint and did not use our wedding gift cards to purchase these impractical beauties. Part of the reason that I was able to practice such self restraint is that I was showing kindness to my worn out shoulders and had switched bags...which meant that the gift cards were at home. It's a good thing too...Shallow want #9: J Brand Lovestory jeans. The lovestory is between me and the way these jeans fit my ass. Seriously, these babies are perfectly named. This is the one item on the list that I have moved to the top of my "you should make this purchase" list given that the cost/wear ratio of jeans is amazing. I'd say at the end of the life of a pair of jeans, I've paid about 25 cents per wearing. Now that I mention that, that's probably pretty true for bags as well. Interesting.

Anyhow. I love these jeans. I've tried them on on skinny days, I've tried them on on fat days. They look good every time. These are my next big purchase. Of course that might not happen for 6 months, but hey - I'm ready.
Off of clothes and on to more practical items...Shallow want #10!!!!! The no!no! hair remover from Sephora. I'm dying to have this. This thing is supposed to eliminate 65% of body hair (unwanted in case you weren't clear...meaning not my eyebrows or the hair on top of my head) with repeated use. And on top of that, it doesn't hurt. Nope. Not one little bit. AND it's easy to use. If you are a man, you might not understand the beauty of a product like this (for which, by the by, I have read several positive reviews from pedestrian users that haven't been paid by the company) but this is one to add to the top of my list.

And now on to home goods from aforementioned Anthropologie. I actually don't go into Anthropologie for clothing all that much anymore. I usually go to admire the selection of cookbooks, the kitschy new dishes and glassware, and yes...the gorgeous furnishings. We'll start small with Shallow want #11. $150 for a shower curtain is outrageous, but I still love this one. It's pretty without being overly feminine and it just sort of feels like it would make me smile every time I walked into my bathroom. It's got a whole flora y fauna thing going on and I love it. I'd love it more if I could get it at Target for $19.99...Next up on the Anthropologie covet list is shallow want #12 - this fabulous upholstered headboard. We need a headboard. Everything you ever read in the Feng Shui world says it's imperative to have a headboard - that it's a symbol of stability. I think it's time for us to get a headboard...and I really like this one. Plus, the suggest a headboard with curves in it for artistic people...which we both are. Hmmm...this want might not be so shallow afterall... I'll keep telling myself that.Last on the list of Anthropologie shallow wants is this amazing dresser - shallow want #13. I have been in love with this dresser for 2+ years. I stare at it longingly, dreaming of the day when we buy our first home and I decorate our bedroom to match this dresser. It's just...perfection in the form of a dresser. Don't you think? I pray that Anthropologie carries this just long enough for me to buy it...AAnd lest you think that I am entirely unpractical in nature, I' ve got my final shallow wants that are actually on the list for when I receive my next Bed, Bath, and Beyond 20% off coupons in the mail...

Shallow want #14...this faboo Simple Human fliptop dishrack - there's a special knife block for my Shun knives (the joy of having amaaaaaazing knives in the kitchen is beyond words. Truly). There are stem racks on the side for drying my wine glasses. I like compartments. I like tools that make it clear where each thing should go for maximum drying efficiency. Bottom line, I really like this dish rack. Shallow want #15 -- this one sort of doesn't count because I already bought one set for myself and I'm going out to get another one this weekend but you should all have these hangers. Seriously. Use your 20% off Bed Bath coupon and go get them. With the coupon it's $30 for 50 hangers and they are incredible. My small closet was become difficult to maneuver. I couldn't see anything - it all felt stuffed in. Until I found these. They claim to provide three times more closet space which I thought was absolutely ridiculous...until I saw it for myself. My once cluttered closet is now a sight for sore eyes. Except my eyes don't get sore because I can actually see my clothes! And as if that weren't enough, they have a lovely velvety no-slip surface with indents for straps on every hanger. I'm totally and completely in love. They're called ultra slim flocked hangers and if I were you, I would run...not walk. There's not much for me to want in the kitchen department since I got married last May (ummm...it's been almost a year. Which is crazy. But we'll discuss that another day) and I next to my husband, Williams-Sonoma is my first love. Honestly...there's no store I love more. And I wouldn't give up any of my kitchen stuff to have any of those bags or shoes. I might find one or two things I'd trade for the jeans and the dresser but it would be hard.

Now? I just want more cookbooks. Right now, these 2 are at the top of my list and I'm not considering this a shallow want since my cooking will benefit not only myself, but all those who get to eat my yummy food. Right?

So these are on the top of my list:

The only of the barefoot collection that I don't have. And since the rest have been incredible, I feel I must have this one as well...



This book is interesting to me because I love chefs and I love getting inside of their heads. I want to know what they like to eat and since this book deals with the meals they would choose to be their last and the recipes to accompany, it seems like a natural to add to my collection.
And lastly, I've become an Alice Waters devotee...I'm loving the sheer simplicity of her dishes. She instructs exactly how to compliment the natural flavors of food. So this would be an ideal addition as well.

And perhaps, my bank account would be bigger and all of this would closer to my fingertips if I could have this last thing I want:



View Larger Map

and



View Larger Map

without all of this:



View Larger Map

in between.

Posted byMeesh-elle my Belle at 5:53 PM  

3 comments:

nicole antoinette said... April 8, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

Stop posting pretty things that I now want as well!

And yeah, who needs middle America? haha

Brucenstan's Momma said... April 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM  

Friend. You just totally registered for yourself. Love it.

megabrooke said... April 9, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

i want a lot of the same things you want! especially those green shoes!

i have a post saved in my drafts that i did a while back where i listed the contents of my purse and included pictures. i should bust that out on of these days! thanks for reminding me:)

Post a Comment